Monday, August 2, 2010

Some current inspiration

Two musical things have been on my mind lately and I would like to share them with you:

Firstly, I'm definitely a David Lynch fan and have seen most of his films. Currently I'm working my way through Twin Peaks. However, it's the "silencio" scene from Muholland Drive, and specifically Rebekah del Rio's acapella version of "Llorando" that I've been dwelling on. I remember the first time I saw it was very affecting, especially when she falls out of either anguish or severe love. It is surely one of my favorite Lynch scenes to date:




Also, a few weeks ago, one of my friends who I'm in a composer's collective with showed me this Lennie Tristano improvisation/composition over the changes of the standard "All of Me" called "Line Up". I couldn't believe I hadn't come across this earlier in my life. Lennie plays some absolutely beautiful lines, and everything feels amazing. Check out the way he accents some of his phrasing- impeccable.



While these two pieces of music seemingly have none too much in common, the draw in these two pieces is the melody, since that's just about all there is. It's not just the notes either, it's the people behind the notes that make it what it is. Or maybe it is the notes. I guess it doesn't matter, it's sheer amazing-ness.

No comments:

Post a Comment