Monday, July 26, 2010

Welcome Post and Some Solo Piano

I intend for this blog to host everything I wish to share with people. Below are the songs that are currently on my Indaba Music profile (the company at which I currently work and host my own theory blog), and a youtube video of me playing some piano. Basically, it's all the information I have on Myspace- I'm probably going to get rid of that thing. Blogs are at least %313 cooler.


Enjoy this stuff for now, I'll have some other stuff up later (this is a blog, of course). The Indaba tracks are solo piano tracks I recorded in a neighbor's studio on an awesome sounding piano (a 6 1/2 ft Mason Hamlin with Steinway hammers, a lush tone, and tremendously sensitive action) and then had mastered. Album (or more likely a solo piano EP) is probably forthcoming as soon as I can get around to packaging (or doing good nu-age D2C), licensing the rights to the standards, and essentially putting it together. They're largely improvised and often depart from the regular harmony. Also, I was in the process of diversifying the interplay between right and left (something I continue to do today) and I love some of the "stumbles" that occurred during the process. I recorded them completely alone acting as engineer for myself on a farm up the road, which was amazingly comfortable. Somehow, recording solo piano in a studio or in a hall doesn't seem natural. Recording in solitude also, I think, for the first time in my life, really brought out the ballad in me. I also didn't feel like I had to strive for perfection. It was more about vibing with the song and trying to make something happen internally rather than externally.

Check out a few of the tracks, let me know what you think:



Also, enjoy half of a piano solo and a drum solo over Solar:

No comments:

Post a Comment